Sunday, February 23, 2014

Why people?


Recently, someone observed that my art focuses on people.
And, it, almost exclusively, does.
This man, shown above, is the subject of the next painting that I have in mind. In contrast to the excited girl and the pensive boy, this man is older and has a look of experience and perhaps a little annoyance. Similar to the other photos that I've painted from, this was taken on the streets of Manhattan. I've found that I've been seeing certain connections between the two finished pieces and this idea of one. The boy and the man both have an object (the boy has a train), and they are both looking at something to their right. The girl and the boy both have white shirts and have youthful poses. The man looks utterly weary, but his clothes have similar textures to those seen in the first two pieces. These are random observations, but they connect to my passion for people.
 I've always loved observing, studying, and understanding people. This passion is evident in almost all of my work as it highlights expressions, characteristics, and movements (one of the reasons that I love dance is that it's art you can actually be as a person). While the following observation is a less art related, I think I belong to a people-obsessed generation, with Humans of New York becoming a world wide phenomenon, personality quizzes consuming the internet, and the drastic rise of psychology majors in colleges and universities. And, as someone who religiously follows HONY, completes numerous personality quizzes daily, and may very possibly become a psychology major, I think people are the best subjects for art. I think art should be a beautiful idea, whether that beauty looks ugly or strange, art conveys a thought. And, people are endlessly confusing and intriguing all at the same time, so I continue to obsessively photograph, paint, and observe them, as creepy as that sounds.


And, that is why- people.











2 comments:

  1. Annie, this is a exemplary post! I think you have your artist's statement:) You've clearly identified your theme and discussed your personal connection to the work. I think it would add to your statement if you talked about the unique arrangement of your canvases. What does that do your work? It would also be interesting to hear you speak more about the process of painting and how it affects your relationship to the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this. Also love the pic of the man with his underthings showing. Hilarious. You're right, people and just being human (emotions, interaction, clothing, expression) is so interesting. I agree with Ms. Slaughter...awesome statement you've crafted here. I look forward to seeing how this all evolves.

    ReplyDelete